Could you please fix IE 9.0! When I use IE 9.0 (x32) on WIndows 7 to view SharePoint (Enterprise Edition) pages (any page), I see that the IE 9 memory process grows by about 6 MB everytime I refresh the page or navigate to a new page. Since I work with clients that spend a lot of time on the SharePoint pages that I build for them, it means that local machine memory consumption goes up rapidly (100 clicks --> .6GB !) and they believe that SharePoint is slow and causes the browser to crash frequently.
I have done quite a bit of research on this issues and have concluded that the culprit is IE 9.0 (x32), most likely the add-in "NameCtrl Class." Here is what I have found:
The thing to note is that the problem has been around for a while,
and then the blog trail went silent.
2. The problem causes IE to crash after some time, in my case every twenty minutes. The problem also causes my Windows machine to slow down.
3. The prolem only occurs with IE 9:
Not with Firefox, not with Safari, not with IE 8.
4. I have observed the problem on several corporate enterprise servers (both 2007 & 2010), on a virgin installation of enterprtise server running on my own Virtual Machine, as well as on Office 365.
5. NOTE: The problem does not exist when navigating pages of WSS 3.0 or Founddation Server.
6. If you have a single IE 9.0 session and tab open, when you naviagte to a different domain, e.g. nytimes.com, IE 9.0 releases the memory and the process size goes down.
This is a trivial way to see the problem yourself.
Step 1: Navigate to the any page that is being served up by SharePoint 2007 or 2010 enterprise server.
Step 2: Launch the Windows Task Manager and click on the Processes tab.
Step 4: Note the process size of iexplorer.exe *32. (NOTE: There is usually more than one running)
Step 5: Refresh the page from step 1.
Step 6: Note the process size of one of the iexplorer.exe *32 instances should have increased.
Step 7. Repeat steps 1->6 several times. You will see that the there is no limit to the growth of the process size for IE 9.
The screenshots below show a Before (125,532K) and an After (131,492K) a single refresh, for an increase of 5.96 MB. Note the screenshots were taken of a site that was built on Office 365.
If I find a solution to this issue, I will post it here.